Utah Valley University (UVU) offers one of the best competitive dance teams in the country. The team is so good, in fact, that it won Dancing with the Stars' (DWTS) first-ever College Dance Championship, according to a press release. The UVU team used a samba routine to defeat Purdue University.
Utah native Derek Hough - who won DWTS with partner Nicole Scherzinger of the Pussycat Dolls, said that, "before they even started, I knew it was going to be good just by the way the [UVU] team was carrying itself."
"I've seen all of the teams dance, and I think they were by far the best all around, not just as a team, but individually," he added.
The team competed against Rutgers University in the preliminary round of the competition, earning a score of 29 out of 30, with a cha cha routine. As the team was returning to campus the following day, UVU ballroom program director Scott Asbell received a call from ABC informing him the team had advanced to the final round.
- St. Mary’s University creates unique graduation pledge program
- Messiah College offers sustainable Christian education
- Bennington College boasts famous alumni such as Michael Pollan
- Wall Street Journal ranks California Polytechnic State University graduates among top in the nation
- Hartwick College alumna teaches current students about landscape design
- Virginia State University’s business program boasts affordable digital textbooks
- Widener University offers ROTC nursing program
- The University of Texas in San Antonio offers the first fully digital library
- Saint Michael’s College graduate former CEO of MTV
- University of Mississippi boasts alumni such as Archie and Eli Manning