Those who are familiar with the clothing brand Vineyard Vines may not be aware that the founder of the company graduated from Skidmore College in New York. Shep Murray - who earned a bachelor's degree from the school in 1993 - was working as an ad agent in 1997, when one morning he put on the same suit and tie as his boss.
It was that day that Murray realized there was room in the market for clothing that meets the needs of young professionals, according to the college. Murray and his brother soon quit their jobs and started working on Vineyard Vines.
The clothing company sells preppy New England-style ties as well as dozens of other items including slacks, shirts, handbags, flip-flops, swimsuits, notecards and personal calendars.
"I get to wake up every morning, drive my kids to school, and create a product that people love," said Murray. "I work with great people, we have great customers, and it's awesome to be able to make people happy."
When Murray first arrived at Skidmore, he immersed himself in music and literature courses. Eventually, he found a passion for business and majored in the subject.
According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment of clothing designers is expected to grow over the next several years.
- St. Mary’s University creates unique graduation pledge program
- Messiah College offers sustainable Christian education
- Bennington College boasts famous alumni such as Michael Pollan
- Wall Street Journal ranks California Polytechnic State University graduates among top in the nation
- Hartwick College alumna teaches current students about landscape design
- Virginia State University’s business program boasts affordable digital textbooks
- Widener University offers ROTC nursing program
- The University of Texas in San Antonio offers the first fully digital library
- Saint Michael’s College graduate former CEO of MTV
- University of Mississippi boasts alumni such as Archie and Eli Manning