Many factors are important to note when conducting a college search. Researching a school's greek life, campus safety and athletics can be equally as valuable as examining its academic programs.
New Mexico Highlands University (NMHU) offers 10 varsity athletics programs including cross-country, baseball, basketball, rodeo, wrestling and college football, according to the school. Former WWE Champion Eddie Guerrero wrestled at NMHU on an athletic scholarship.
NMHU alum Don Woods was selected in the sixth round of the 1974 NFL draft by the Green Bay Packers. He then set an NFL rookie rushing record of 1,162 yards in 12 games, including a streak of seven consecutive 100 yard rushing performances. Woods was chosen for the 1974 NFL Rookie of the Year. He played with the San Diego Chargers and San Francisco 49ers from 1974 to 1980.
Another famous graduate, Lionel Taylor, was the first professional football receiver to make 100 catches in a single season, and accomplished this feat in only 14 games. In 1965, he held the then highest six-year total for catches in professional football history.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that employment of professional athletes is projected to grow by 23 percent over the next eight years.
- St. Mary’s University creates unique graduation pledge program
- Messiah College offers sustainable Christian education
- Bennington College boasts famous alumni such as Michael Pollan
- Wall Street Journal ranks California Polytechnic State University graduates among top in the nation
- Hartwick College alumna teaches current students about landscape design
- Virginia State University’s business program boasts affordable digital textbooks
- Widener University offers ROTC nursing program
- The University of Texas in San Antonio offers the first fully digital library
- Saint Michael’s College graduate former CEO of MTV
- University of Mississippi boasts alumni such as Archie and Eli Manning