Those who wish to launch careers in fashion may want to learn from Janice Greenberg Ellinwood, a member of Marymount University's design department, who published a well-received book. Ellinwood, who is the chair of the school's Department of Fashion Design and Fashion Merchandising, authored a college textbook for students.
Fashion by Design was created to provide a foundation for artistic decision-making, covering topics such as design theory, line and shape, texture, light and color. The textbook also focuses on design principles of balance, emphasis, rhythm and unity.
Additionally, Ellinwood's text profiles noted designers such as Madeleine Vionnet, Claire McCardell, Coco Chanel, Rudi Gernreich, Issey Miyake, Yves Saint Laurent, Gianni Versace, Valentino Garavani, Hubert de Givency, Elsa Schiaparelli, Madame Grès, Yohji Yamamoto and Jeanne Lanvin, among others.
"They added beauty to our world, stimulated our intellect and tantalized our creativity," Ellinwood wrote.
Also featured in the book are Marymount University's past Designers of the Year, which include Isabel Toledo, Michael Kors, Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Rucci and Oscar de la Renta.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that overall employment of fashion designers will increase over the next several years.
- St. Mary’s University creates unique graduation pledge program
- Messiah College offers sustainable Christian education
- Bennington College boasts famous alumni such as Michael Pollan
- Wall Street Journal ranks California Polytechnic State University graduates among top in the nation
- Hartwick College alumna teaches current students about landscape design
- Virginia State University’s business program boasts affordable digital textbooks
- Widener University offers ROTC nursing program
- The University of Texas in San Antonio offers the first fully digital library
- Saint Michael’s College graduate former CEO of MTV
- University of Mississippi boasts alumni such as Archie and Eli Manning