Lincoln University’s founders–—the men of the 62nd and 65th Colored Infantries—laid big historical footprints. These men pooled their monies together to establish a school for African Americans in their home state of Missouri, and in September 1866, Lincoln Institute opened its doors in Jefferson City, the state capital.
In May 2007, Lincoln University was honored to unveil a monument fitting for those soldiers, honoring their sacrifices and their dreams. Today, the presence of the Soldiers’ Memorial on the campus of Lincoln University provides an opportunity for faculty, staff, alumni, students, and friends to honor, support, and continue the soldiers’ dream. The construction of the Soldiers’ Memorial pays homage to the soldiers and their officers of the Civil War who embraced the vision of educating all Americans.
We are proud of our historical beginnings, but we do not rest on these laurels. Inman E. Page Library is a state-of-the-art facility, dedicated in 1997, that provides Lincolnites with access to more than 170,000 book titles, as well as electronic access to more than 3 million volumes and more than 850 periodical titles. Anthony Hall, a residence facility that opened in the 1940s and holds a place on the National Registry of Historic Buildings, has recently been updated to include modern luxuries. In fall 2008, a new residence hall is scheduled to open for LU students.
Lincoln University is a dynamic campus that educates the citizens of the 21st century and prepares them for successful endeavors upon graduation.